Some called it serimuka, some called it pulut kaya and some even called it puteri salat. what ever names you referred to they are the same, a popular Malay and Peranakan kuih made of glutinous rice at the bottom layer and custard on the top layer.
Nowadays there are few variation of this kuih however this pandan kaya custard is an everygreen serimuka and an all time favorite.
I made it small just enough for the family 8 x 8 baking sheets. It is best that you make it early roughly about 6 hour before serving, then you will have a nice cut with the kuih. I normally do it before when to bed, however since we all are fasting I made it early in the morning. This kuih is creamy and sweet. Perfect for breakfast and tea or even functions.
250g Glutinous Rice, soaked for 4 hours and drained
170ml Thin Coconut Milk
¼ tsp Salt
2 no. Eggs
150g Castor Sugar
120ml Pandan Water (Blend about 10 pandan leaves with 120ml water)
400ml Coconut Milk
120g All-purpose Flour
3 tbsp Tapioca Flour
¼ tsp salt
Green Colouring (optional)
- Bottom Layer: Steam glutinous rice with coconut milk and salt for 30 minutes. Rest for about 10 minutes, then transfer and press steamed rice onto a bottom of a 8" square pan.
- Top Layer: Beat eggs with sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add in pandan water, coconut milk, salt and green colouring. Mix well.
- Sift in flours and whisk till well combined. Strain the mixture and rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture in the pan with pressed glutinous rice (1) and steam over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving.
Kuih evergreen yang tak lapuk dek panas dan tak lekang dek hujan, memang favorite terutama dalam bulan puasa ni, banyak-banyak serimuka inilahlah idaman hati, lemak dan sedap, Saya cuma buat sedikit aje cukup makan anak beranak dan sedikit untuk tertangga, Biasanya dalam bulan-bilan puasa ini cara makan kita lain sedikit, kalau dessert macam selalu dimakan selepas makan, tapi dalam bulan puasa ini, ia terbalik pula, selepas jamah kurma dan air serimuka yang kita mulakan dulu lepas sembahyang baru makan nasi...wah.... I LIKE.... suasana sebegini
Nect Post - Friday Buka Puasa Menu