I almost forget about this recipe. I made this for Ayu's my eldest 22 nd birthday some where in March. I thought I have posted the entry until when I did my monthly wrap up I realized that I missed this. How could I!!!!! this is a special cake for special occasion.
The cake was awesome. I adapted the recipe heavily from joyofbaking.com
This is my second attempt. The first attempt it look's more like chocolate cake instead of red velvet, so I made a few adjustment to get the real red color. I reduced the cocoa powder and increased the red coloring.
The cheese frosting were really lovely and I added plenty of red sprinkles, they went down an absolute treat! It's a great cakes for any birthday party, so delicious and moist and the icing is to die for, just a great recipe
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self- rising), sifted
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder - I used only 1 tsp
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon red paste food color - I used 2 tbsp
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together cake flour, cocoa, and salt.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, whisk together sugar and oil until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Mix in food color and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk, and whisking well after each. Stir together the baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl (it will foam); add mixture to the batter, and mix on medium speed 10 seconds.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
- To finish, use a small offset spatula to spread cupcakes with frosting. Refrigerate up to 3 days in airtight containers; bring to room temperature before serving.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 ounces (113 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup (30 grams) confectioners' (icing or powdered) sugar, sifted
1/3 cup (80 ml) cold heavy whipping cream (double cream) (35-40% butterfat)
Cream Cheese Frosting: In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the vanilla and confectioners sugar and beat until smooth. Using the whisk attachment, gradually add the heavy cream and whip until the frosting is thick enough to pipe. Add more sugar or cream as needed to get the right consistency.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
STEP BY STEP PROCESS - RED VELVET CUPCAKE
Ini adalah antara the best cupcake yang saya buat. Saya suka rasanya, saya suka frostingnya dan saya suka cara menghiasnya. Cup cake ini saya buat untuk ulang tahun ke 22 anak sulung saya Ayu, bulan 3 lalu, terlupa nak masukkan dalam N3, cuma sedar bila saya membuat wrap up bulanan saya. Resipi cupcake ini saya ambil dari joyofbaking.com. Ini cubaan kedua saya, cubaan pertama nampak lebih pada chocolate cake dari cupcake, jadi saya buat adjustment sedikit, saya klurangkan serbuk koko dan tambahkan perwarna merah. memang sedap cupcake ini especially cheese frostingnya. Cukup sesuai untuk majlis hari jadi.
Next Post - Dragon Fruits Delight