Monday, December 31, 2012
Sunday, December 30, 2012
Wedding, Christmas or Party is the time for bakers to shine. Fancy Cookies are beautiful enough to give as gifts.You can make it in many sizes, designs and decorated it with Royal Icing. It's fun doing it and even your little one will be happy to help you in the kitchen. Create a dazzling arrangement of your cookies to savor and share this holiday season.
Adapted from Nurainie Tan Cookies Class
- Combine flour baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs one at a time and then add vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture until well blended.
- Cover and keep in the frig for about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cut out into shapes and place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Remove from cookie sheets and cool.
- Some context on this dish - this Cordon bleu is a breaded cutlet dish of meat (traditionally veal, but pork or chicken are common) pounded thin and wrapped around a slice of ham (or prosciutto) and a slice of cheese (such as Swiss), breaded, and then pan fried or baked. Originated from Switzerland and seem to be a popular Western Menu in any Western Restaurant in Malaysia. My favourite and used to be one of my lunch menu while working in one of the private University in Penang.
- 8 boneless chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 4 slices (1 ounce each) cooked ham, cut in half
- 4 slices (1 ounce each) Swiss cheese, cut in half
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heated milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- white pepper
Saturday, December 29, 2012
Monday, December 24, 2012
I have to make sure first that our fondant is nice and smooth. I'm going to do a quilting technique, which gives the fondant a quilted fabric look, and it looks really, really nice. So I take my straight edge - and this is at a 45-degree angle - line it up on the bottom of the cake. And I take my quilting tool and I just trace down along, and it will make it look like stitches. Move over to the next notch. Do the same thing. And you're going to repeat this step all the way around the cake. Flip it around, and make the crosses on each opposite direction. I'm using edible beads to put at each of the crossroads. I take my royal icing, and I'm going to put a little dot at each "X." That will make the beads stick.
Sunday, December 23, 2012
|Chinese Peony - from Gum Paste|
- A great gum paste recipe like the one developed by
- A heavy duty mixer with a paddle attachment
- Fine powdered sugar, sifted
- meringue powder
- Large zip-lock bags
- CNC power
|Gumpaste Flower using flower dusting|
4 tsp merigue powder
4 tbsp water
350 g icing sugar (sifted)
6 tsp CMC
2 tsp shortening
1. Whisk the meringue powder with water till fluffy
2. Whisk in icing sugar. you will get a soft consistency royal icing texture
3. Add in the CNC, mixture will thicken at this stage
4. Knead in shortening and mould into dough
5. If so sticky add in some icing sugar.
6. Wrap with cling foil and rest overnight before using
Some useful tips to insure success in any gum paste recipe are as follows: Adapted - http://cakedecorating.about.com/od/gumpastetechniques/a/Lesson-Three-From-Craftsy-On-Making-Gum-Paste.htm
- Take into consideration the area you live in when adding the powdered sugar to the egg whites. You might have to add more powdered sugar if you live in a more humid place and a dry environment would require less sugar.Take about a cup of sugar out of the amount listed in your recipe so you have some room to manipulate the finished product.
- Always scrape the sides of the bowl down, as with any recipe, to ensure all the powdered sugar is mixed into the eggs.
- Do not under mix the eggs and sugar. When finished the mixture will be very thick and glossy and look like meringue. Undermixing will produce gum paste which is not pliable or easy to handle.
- If you are going to color an entire batch of gum paste a specific color you can add the color before adding the tylose powder when the batch still looks like maringue.
- Sprinkle the tylose powder into the mixing bowl while running the paddle at low speed. Do not simply dump the powder in or it will clump up.
- Take the extra time to scrape off the paddle and gather as much gum paste as possible because even a tiny amount can create a few flowers.
- Seperate the gum paste into at least two smaller balls so it is easier to knead.Add extra powdered sugar in very small amounts as you knead the gum paste because it is hard to remove too much sugar if your texture becomes dry!
- Gum paste dries out very easily if left exposed to air so wrap the finished ball as well as the ball waiting to be kneaded tightly in plastic wrap. The finished ball of gum paste should also be placed in a Ziploc bag with all the excess air pressed out.
|Completed Gumpaste Rose Without Dusting|
|Air Brush Gumpaste Rose|
Thursday, December 20, 2012
Monday, December 17, 2012
|Tyca with her birthday cake enjoying good|
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, then beat in vanilla. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well and scraping down the bowl after each addition. At low speed, beat in buttermilk until just combined (mixture will look curdled). Add flour mixture in three batches, mixing until each addition is just Incorporated./ Ayak semua bahan kering dan letak sebelah. Dalam mangkuk lain pukul mentega dan gula sehingga kembang masukkan vanilla. Masukkan telur sebiji demi sebii. perlahankan speed dan masukkan buttermilk. Masukkan tepung dalam tiga bahagian
- Spread batter evenly in cake pan, then rap pan on counter several times to eliminate air bubbles. (I like to drop mine a few times from two inches up, making a great big noisy fuss.) Bake until golden and a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then run a knife around edge of pan. Invert onto rack and discard parchment, then cool completely, about 1 hour./ Bahagikan adunan kepada dua bahagian dan curahkan ke dalam loyang pembaker bakar selama 30-40 minit stau sehingga masak.
Sunday, December 16, 2012
Sajian sebegini selalu mengingatkan saya semasa dalam pantang. Lada hitam adalah amalan yang sesuai masa pantang untuk memanaskan badan selepas bersalin. Resipi ini kini bukan lagi menjadi sajian masa pantangmalah dikebanyakan restaurant Cina banyak resipi lada hitam ini. Sesuai untuk ayam, udang, daging, ketam, dan sotong. Membuatnya mudah dan ianya merupakan sajian yang menyelerakan dan sesuai makan bersama nasi panas.
Next Post - Smitten Kitchen Yellow Cake